Sunday, January 18, 2009

MY... new CTR 8 Class.


Today reality hit me, "Matt has a new calling"! I was really upset at church today because I do not want Matt to be out of the primary. This meant that we had nothing to talk about after church. We usually laugh about what kids did what and said what. Matt is now the assistant scout master and what ever it has in store for him I will support. Back to my calling, it is really hard for me to teach this age of kids. Every week I am reminded of my family growing up, my baptism, the present and that Carter's baptism is coming up.


Growing up... When we were little (5 kids, 2 brothers a sister and another brother then me) my mom took us kids to church every week by herself. She fought my brothers before, during and after church every Sunday. I remember sitting on the bar stools when we came home and having to face the other person for punishment. I was asked quite often if I had a Dad. One day I was so sick of answering this question that I just told them that no I was hatched by my mom. I can count on one hand the number of times my dad came to church with us. My Mom never gave up and needless to say that we all make out own decisions when we grow up. I am the only one out of 5 that is active in the church.


Baptism..... I tell the kids in my class that this is a day they will remember for the rest of their life! Last year I was asked by one of my primary kids to give a talk at his baptism. I did not have the heart to tell him no so I did it. I really really do not like to get up in front of people at all! I am really glad now that I had the opportunity to do it. When I was baptized the ONLY person in my family worthy (I hope) and held any kind of priesthood was my sixteen year old brother. I turned 8 in the beginning of June and I had to wait until Oct. to be baptized because my dad was working out of town. I was so worried because I did not want to be a convert to the church.


The present.... The priesthood has not grown that much in our family. My Grandpa who is (77)and Matt's dad hold the priesthood. When teaching my primary class and talking about how the priesthood helps us they little kids often say....."when we are sick", "Before we start school", "to help us when we are worried" and so on and so on. Carter really has no idea what they are talking about. It really makes me wonder how many people that hold the priesthood really use it to the FULL advantage. If they lost the priesthood is the only time they would miss it ,is when it is needed for things mentioned above or before? My Grandpa has a really hard time using the priesthood I have had to beg him a couple of times when I just could not handle it anymore to give Shayla blessings. If it was not for the priesthood and the blessing that Shayla received when she was having seizures (and the faith to cure them) I would not be where I am today and I could not imagine my life with out the church.


Carter's Baptism..... Carter will be baptized in June. He is kind of scared because he is afraid that he will drowned. His is very excited to turn eight and I hope and pray everyday that Matt can overcome is addiction because it will break his little heart if his Dad is not able to baptize him. Over the last couple of year we have been to several baptisms and every one the dad has done the baptism. I tried to explain to Carter that Dad does not hold the priesthood and he asks me a couple times a week if Dad has the priesthood yet and I finally just told him that when Dad gets the priesthood he can come watch and listen.


I found this pic the other day thought you might enjoy it....This is me on my baptism day with my brother.

1 comment:

Nelle said...

Did he get released from Primary? I didn't hear that one. I just heard the new calling. I know Bart really appreciated you talking at his baptism and that the two of you were his favorite teachers ever. School included. But don't mention that I told you. Please stay strong. I know the frustration. Very well. My heart is with you in this.